Roommates is a local multiplayer game for iOS devices. every device is treated as the player’s home, and everyone nearby can connect to other’s house (through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi, so no proper internet connection required!) and play minigames together.
there are two games available:
- Battle Sheep: a pun on battleship games. same mechanic: shear your friend’s sheeps while they try to do the same to yours.
- Baseball a timing game. switch places between being the hitter and fielder with your friend, and time your swing.
although the development is on hiatus, the ground is set for more games to come, and more customisation options as well. there’s an in-game store for future items, such as clothes, house items, and, of course, minigames.
behind the scenes, the game uses Apple’s Multipeer Connectivity technology to connect devices. in order to use it properly, a strong abstraction was built on top of it, which we fondly called Par; you don’t see the name in-game, but it’s always there doing the hard work, responsible mainly for hosting minigame servers on one device while exchanging information with the others.
the app was developed as part of the Apple Developer Academy program in Senac São Paulo.
- Gabriel Hideki: programming
- Guilherme Paiva: programming
- mindcracked: audio
- Paula Puiupo: design, illustration
- unphook: programming, illustration
made with Xcode, written in Swift using UIKit and SpriteKit (programming), and Adobe Animate (art).